15 Great Circles


Last weeks Math Monday article showed the intersection of 4,5 and 6 great circles made using CDs and left the reader with a challenge to assemble a model of 15 intersecting great spheres, well challenge accepted.

I used a 3D modelling program to subdivide a dodecahedron, which gave me points in the middle of each face and the middle of each edge. From there I reconstructed the basic triangular 'unit' and once I had the required angles I used inkscape to add the great circle outline to the model. Perhaps a complicated route but it works. (svg here)

Oh yeah, and maths is beautiful
 275/286




Each 'unit' of the sphere was made from 2 pieces of card so each edge of the final model is exactly 2 pieces of card thick and no more this makes the whole construction quite sturdy.










Popular posts from this blog

Wiring the Ruida Controller

Rainbow Puzzle Box

Working Dice Tower (with plans)