365 laser cut items in 365 days. I provide the files so you can make your own copies and if you don't have access to a laser then I sell most items too.
Missing an svg file for an item? Have a suggestion for something? msraynsford+website@gmail.com

Monday, 30 July 2012

15 Great Circles


Last weeks Math Monday article showed the intersection of 4,5 and 6 great circles made using CDs and left the reader with a challenge to assemble a model of 15 intersecting great spheres, well challenge accepted.

I used a 3D modelling program to subdivide a dodecahedron, which gave me points in the middle of each face and the middle of each edge. From there I reconstructed the basic triangular 'unit' and once I had the required angles I used inkscape to add the great circle outline to the model. Perhaps a complicated route but it works. (svg here)

Oh yeah, and maths is beautiful
 275/286




Each 'unit' of the sphere was made from 2 pieces of card so each edge of the final model is exactly 2 pieces of card thick and no more this makes the whole construction quite sturdy.










5 comments:

  1. looking great and everything simple
    engineer blogs

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do I do the diagram on paper for parts ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just print the svg file here and cut it out by hand

      Delete
  3. There is something wrong with the link... Can you resend or repost?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Link works fine, just download the svg and open it in inkscape

      Delete